top of page

Match Report

Wessex Wyverns RFC Vs Bristol Bisons

Cotham Park RFC, Saturday March 28th 2015

A wet and windy afternoon greeted the Wyverns as we arrived at Cotham Park RFC to take on Brisol Bisons.

The Wyverns' lineup was slightly amended from previous games - Nick Vaux started in the second row (his first outing in the forwards) with Digeo Dominguez and Tony Elias swapping places between tighthead prop and blindside flank. Eric Perkins returned to the centres after his foot injury slongside James Firmin and Martyn Green returned to Full Back.

Early exchanges between the teams were back and forth with both teams making early forays into their opponents' 22 but the first ten minutes were scoreless.

It was Wyverns who broke the deadlock in the first quarter, however, with a solo try from Rob N, which he scored under the posts and managed to convert himself.

Wyverns continued to keep the pressure on in the second half with the forwards dominating the opponents. A drive ended with a crash ball from Diego Dominguez who grounded the ball.

The first half ended 12-0 to the Wyverns.

Various changes were made at half time with Nick Vaux moving back to his usual position in the centres and Martyn Gorse coming on to second row from the bench and Santi Santiago coming on at weing for his first Wyverns appearance - Wyverns started stongly again. Rob N scored his second try of the game before Nick Vaux's impressive solo run took him over the line with Bisons players hanging off him.

Tony Elias was unfortunate not to score as he made a storming charge through several Bisons tackles but was dragged down just short of the line.

Bisons struck back, however, and it was only a last second try-saving tackle from Andrew Lewis who managed to keepo the Bisons scoreless, dragging the Bisons wing back from the line and into touch.

The Bisons' lineout stabalised in the last quarter and Wyverns found it more difficult to steal the ball from them. But the Wyverns remained in control and in the last few minutes the forwards camped out on the Bisons' try line. A last minute pushover try from Andrew Lewis rounded off the game, finishing 29-0.

The scoreline was heavily oneisded but it would be fair to say that the Bisons' had their share of the ball and made various trips into the Wyverns' 22 metre line. It was determined defence that allowed Wyverns' to register their first-ever clean sheet rather than any lack of effort on the part of the Bisons.

Wyverns' Man of the Match (Nominated by Wyverns): Martyn Green

Wyverns' Man of the Match (Nominated by Bisons): Andrew Lewis

Bristol Bisons 0 - Wessex Wyverns 29

Try: Rob N

Con: Rob N

Try: Diego Dominguez

Try: Rob N

Try: Nick Vaux

Con: Rob N

Try: Andrew Lewis

Wyverns side:

1. Geoff Stevens

2. Steve Lock

3. Diego Dominguez

4. Gary Mitcheson

5. Nick Vaux

6. Tony Elia

7. Scott Sumner

8. Andrew Lewis

9. Rob N

10. Kev Morgan

11. Lee Barker

12. James Firmin

13. Eric Perkins

14. Sean Finn

15. Martyn Green


16. Mark Makeman

17. Martyn Gorse

18. Simon Fullick

19. Santi Santiago

20. Craig Evans

21. Dan White

Bristol Bisons march 2015.jpg

Picture by: Patrick Hughes

bottom of page